Happy 2nd Birthday BDL!

Written by: Katy Meyers Emery

Primary Source: Bones Don’t Lie, September 6, 2012

It’s officially been two years since I first started ‘Bones Don’t Lie’ as a way to share bioarchaeology and mortuary archaeology news with the world! Over this last year I’ve had a number of changes to the blog and some major events. Earlier this year I completely redesigned the website from its original brown tone ‘antiquarian’ scheme to a more updated and sleek blue and grey design. I became a member of the Research Blogging team, which means that all my posts that are from academic journals have official links to their sources. For a number of these posts I have been selected as the editor’s choice blog post for that week.

Most importantly, I’ve had wonderful readers who continue to share these posts through twitter and other social media, and consistently raise intriguing questions and add excellent commentary to the posts. While these posts started as a way for me to keep up to date on news in the discipline, it has now become an area for discussion and debate. In addition to this, I’ve had numerous emails from readers and am truly thankful for the wonderful words and sentiments of support. I love writing the blog, and am so happy that you love to read it and get engaged in the topics.

Looking forward to another great year! To celebrate another year, here are the top posts from this past year and some hints at things to come.

Top Posts from Year Two

Bones Abroad in Pompeii: This post is about my travels in Italy, specifically a day trip to Pompeii. I discuss not only what I saw, but the broader site and archaeology there. I can honestly say this is one of the greatest places I’ve ever visited.

Can You Excavate Love?: I wrote this post as an intriguing comparison of a modern burial that mirrors the love felt in real life between a couple, against a prehistoric burial that was found under similar circumstances. It is one of the most controversial posts I’ve done, and I love the discussion that followed about this both own my blog and reddit.

Scurvy During the Irish Famine: Surprisingly Great Famine burials don’t show signs of nutritional deficiencies, and this article discusses that phenomenon. It’s interesting seeing a re-evaluation of an era that we know about in general but often don’t know the specifics of.

Using Experiments and Forensics to Understand Cremation: Since I’m studying cremation, I find studies like this extremely informative in understanding these mortuary practices in the past. Doing experiments is a great way to understand the remains we see in the past by looking at current conditions.

New Additions to BDL

-Over the next few months I’m going to make the ‘Morbid Terminology’ a regular featured post on BDL. This means a few times a month you’ll get to learn a new phrase and get the history behind it. See the first ‘Morbid Terminology’ here: Coffin Birth.

-Interviews of professionals and professors in the field will be conducted and posted so that you can see not only what research is going on, but who is doing that work. If you have suggestions for interviewees or questions, or would like to be interviewed, let me know!

-What would you like to see?

Katy Meyers Emery
Katy is currently a graduate student studying mortuary archaeology at Michigan State University. Her academic interests are in mortuary and bioarchaeology, with a specific interest in connecting the physical remains to the mortuary context. Along with this, she is also interested in Digital Humanities, and the integration of technology into academia, as well as public archaeology and outreach.
Katy Meyers Emery

Latest posts by Katy Meyers Emery (see all)