Technology Surveys for K12 students

Written by: Punya Mishra

Primary Source: Punya Mishra’s Web

5066618648_5513cded9e_n
Photo iPad Dream #2 by Lance Shields from Flickr

I received an email from one Holly Marich, a doctoral student in our hybrid-PhD program, asking if I knew about any  technology usage surveys her school district can give their K-12 students. I didn’t know of one so I sent out a tweet:

Looking for a survey about technology usage a school district can give their K-12 students. Suggestions? @MAET @MSU_EPET @gravesle #edtech

The network responded with these two results. I am posting them here (for the record).

The first is Your Own Technology Survey and it is out of England. It doesn’t have significant footprint here in the US but they ARE interested in finding schools/districts would would like to work with them.

The second suggestion were a set of three surveys developed by researchers at the Friday Institute at North Carolina State University. They are, (a) RttT PD Teacher Leaders Survey; (b) STNA-S: School Tech Needs Assessment for Students; and (c) STNA: School Technology Needs Assessment. I was informed that the teacher version has been taken by hundreds of teachers (as part of the North Carolina IMPACT model) and has been validated (see here for pubs that have come from this line of work). The students’ version is new.

Punya Mishra is a professor of Educational Psychology & Educational Technology at the College of Education at Michigan State University. He also directs the Master of Arts in Educational Technology program. He recently co-chaired the SITE 2011 conference at Nashville after having chaired the Innovation & Technology Committee of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. The readers and editors of Technology and Learning journal recently named him as one of the ten most influential people in educational technology.

Latest posts by Punya Mishra (see all)