Mint Petra Odds and Ends

Written by: Paul Rubin

Primary Source: OR in an OB World

As I complete (hopefully) the upgrade of my home PC to Linux Mint 16 Petra (which appears to be commensurable with Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander), I’m making notes on glitches small and large.

  • I initially had some display problems booting and resuming from hibernation. By “display problems” I mean totally corrupted displays, or what appeared to be hang-ups during the boot process. This is not the first time I’ve experienced display problems of this nature. So I reinstalled the sgfxi script (this time to my home partition, where it should survive future system upgrades, and ran it. Since installing the latest NVIDIA proprietary drivers, I’ve had no boot failures. The display is still sometimes a bit slow redrawing itself, something I’ll need to investigate when I have time.
  • As noted in my previous post, Petra has the annoying habit of opening the Disk Usage Analyzer (a.k.a. “Baobab”) when it ought to be displaying a folder in Nemo, the replacement for Nautilus. The fix (in the second update of the previous post) is to add

    inode/directory=nemo.desktop;baobab.desktop;

    to  ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.

  • Back in June, I posted about using the µswsusp package to accelerate hibernation and return from hibernation. Unfortunately, while the package seems to work as far as saving a compressed image to disk, Petra is unable to return from hibernation. I get a message that it is “Resuming from /dev/disk/by-uuid/you-don’t-want-to-know”, and I get to stare at that message for as long as I want before rebooting the machine. So I uninstalled µswsusp. Fortunately, Petra seems to be faster than Nadia was at both hibernating and (more importantly, at least to me) resuming. If I need to bring back µswsusp at a later date, the answer may be here (change the configuration file for µswsusp so that “resume device” is set to the UUID of the drive rather than its name).
  • While messing around with the hibernation stuff, I periodically encountered a message “No support for locale en_US.utf8”. This seemed harmless enough, but I decided to do a quick search, and turned up clear instructions (albeit for an older version, Mint 13) on how to fix it. Running
sudo locale-gen –purge –no-archive

hopefully fixes it.

The following two tabs change content below.
I'm an apostate mathematician, retired from a business school after 33 years of teaching mostly (but not exclusively) quantitative methods courses. My academic interests lie in operations research. I also study Tae Kwon Do a bit on the side.

Latest posts by Paul Rubin (see all)