Three good posts on gender/privilege imbalance

Written by: C. Titus Brown

Primary Source: Living in an Ivory Basement

Over the past year of PyCon, #sciox, and other gender imbalance/harassment/sexism discussions that I’ve seen on Twitter and blogging, I’ve run into a few posts on these matters that stood out to me in terms of clarity, logic, and/or good instruction for me. I’m sharing them below because I think they’re really good, and because it’s time to get them out of my inbox ;).

I’d welcome pointers to other good posts that have affected readers personally.

The comment section of this blog post isn’t the place for critical discussion of these issues, however; I’m just interested in spreading the word about these (and other) good posts. So, I plan to moderate stricly and ruthlessly.

The Distress of the Privileged, by Doug Muder.

This post brought the concept of “privilege” and “distress” home to me in a really useful way. I’ve read plenty of other explanations but this one stuck in my memory.

Mixed Up, by Kathleen Raven.

What I “like” about this post (as in, what makes it super excellent) is that all of the things on the list are inappropriate and indefensible in a professional setting.

On TRUCEConf, by Jacob-Kaplan Moss.

To quote, “””TRUCEConf continually mentions “both sides”. What exactly are these two sides? (Spoiler alert: they don’t exist.)”””

–titus

p.s. See note about comments, above. Feel free to send me your own blog post links if you have comments or want to start a discussion.

C. Titus Brown
C. Titus Brown is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics. He earned his PhD ('06) in developmental molecular biology from the California Institute of Technology. Brown is director of the laboratory for Genomics, Evolution, and Development (GED) at Michigan State University. He is a member of the Python Software Foundation and an active contributor to the open source software community. His research interests include computational biology, bioinformatics, open source software development, and software engineering.