Genetic architecture of intelligence (video with improved sound)

Written by: Stephen Hsu

Primary Source: Information Processing

This is video of a talk given to cognitive scientists about a year ago (slides). The original video had poor sound quality, but I think I’ve improved it using Google’s video editing tool. I found that the earlier version was OK if you used headphones, but I think they are not necessary for this one.

I don’t have any update on the BGI Cognitive Genomics study. We are currently held up by the transition from Illumina to Complete Genomics technology. (Complete Genomics was acquired by BGI last year and they are moving from the Illumina platform to an improved CG platform.) This is highly frustrating but I will just leave it at that.

On one of the last slides I mention Compressed Sensing (L1 penalized convex optimization) as a method for extracting genomic information from GWAS data. The relevant results are in this paper.

Stephen Hsu
Stephen Hsu is vice president for Research and Graduate Studies at Michigan State University. He also serves as scientific adviser to BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) and as a member of its Cognitive Genomics Lab. Hsu’s primary work has been in applications of quantum field theory, particularly to problems in quantum chromodynamics, dark energy, black holes, entropy bounds, and particle physics beyond the standard model. He has also made contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, the theory of modern finance, and in encryption and information security. Founder of two Silicon Valley companies—SafeWeb, a pioneer in SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Networks) appliances, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003, and Robot Genius Inc., which developed anti-malware technologies—Hsu has given invited research seminars and colloquia at leading research universities and laboratories around the world.
Stephen Hsu

Latest posts by Stephen Hsu (see all)