I don’t think it’s come to that… yet.

Written by: Rachel Minkin

Primary Source: Information Literacy Resources

Thank you, New Scientist, for bringing to light this innovation.

Developed at the University of Tsukuba in Japan, engineer Hirotaka Osawa considered these goggles a robot to assist workers get through the more boring parts of their day… including chatting with coworkers!

I’m not sure of the price point on these (and watching the included video on AgencyGlass, maybe I don’t have to worry yet)but I’m wondering when I’ll see something similar in the classroom? I’ve never woken a sleeping student as they’ve got other problems without adding library anxiety. I do wonder what it means for the discourse we try to encourage in our classrooms.

What do you think of goggles with animated eyes that follow you around the room?

Rachel Minkin
Rachel M. Minkin is an Information Literacy Librarian, responsible for leading information literacy sessions for the first-year students taking Tier One Writing class in the Department of Writing, Rhetoric and American Cultures. Prior to beginning at Michigan State in August 2011, Rachel was a Reference and Instruction Librarian at Lansing Community College (Lansing, MI) and the Graduate Theological Union (Berkeley, CA).