Spencer writes in the library, part 2: Ergonomics? or arghonomics?

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place on Friday, 11 July around 9:00am

The Spot

Where am I working today?

On the first floor, just inside the east wing.

What’s a perk of this spot?

Lot of desks around here. Even though it’s the summer, I have trouble imagining that all these spots would get filled up even during the regular academic year.

What’s a problem with this spot?

The chairs. Definitely the chairs. It looks like there are a lot of this kind of chair in the library, too, which might become frustrating over time. Maybe I’m not sitting in it right? Maybe I’m just too tall for it? I’m not quite sure, but trying to sit up straight in this chair has been uncomfortable, so I’ll have to figure out if there’s a way I’m supposed to sit here.

What have I learned in this spot?

As you can see from this terrible quality photo, the library is divided into east and west wings, each of which has different talking rules. The east wing is reserved for quiet working, while you can presumably walk and talk as much as you want to in the west wing. (That joke is never going to get old, by the way, so brace yourselves).

How would I rate this spot?

4 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

I’m actually stretching my rule about dedicating these blog posts to research and writing. I spent my time in this spot making some plans for Ideaplay, an MSU EPET blog that is intended to serve as a space for grad students’ research and writing. There was a lull in my schedule today that definitely won’t be there when the Fall semester starts, so I spent some time doing some prep work that would get Ideaplay ready to best serve as a platform for future research and writing throughout the school year.

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

I spent some time tinkering with a proposed new logo for Ideaplay and became very grateful for resources like openclipart. I’ve spent a fair amount of time reading about copyright, fair use, Creative Commons, and the public domain recently, and I think that’s a body of knowledge that all grad students ought to have. The Internet gives us fantastic new opportunities to share ideas and showcase our research, but there are a lot of good conversations and arguments out there about how intellectual property works out there on the Internet. The conversation is going to keep going throughout our careers, so I highly recommend getting informed.