Keeping up with the journal Joneses

Written by: Josh Rosenberg

Primary Source: Joshua Rosenberg

Early in graduate school journals were very inaccessible to me. I did not know where to start, or what to read once I found one. Over time I started to develop my understanding of where to start and what and how to read, but did not have a way of staying on top of them with some type of regularity. I tried to subscribe to RSS feeds through the journals’ websites, or to follow the journals through social media or e-mail updates. None of these worked particularly well, despite receiving updates, with one reason being that you still have to search for the journal through the library in order to access its contents.

Then I tried to bookmark the index or home pages for the journals through my browser (Chrome). Because the link was unique for the MSU library I was able to access the journals without searching for them every time. This worked really well, and is the focus of this post. First, I added every journal to a bookmarks folder, but then found another issue – there were enough there that I would peek in the folder, become overwhelmed, and head back to Facebook. Then I made folders for “educational psychology,” “educational technology,” “education,” and “other,” which worked well in terms of organization but did not reduce the sense that there were too many to not overwhelm.

Finally, I created a “top 10″ folder with just the 10 journals I wanted most to read. This worked great, as 10 is just enough to cover everything in which I’m interested, but is not too many to stop me from checking every few months. So, I read journals by bookmarking the homepage for the journals after searching for them through the MSU website. One minor caveat is that if you do this, you may be prompted to sign-in to the library before viewing journal homepages – but this is much less laborious than searching for journals through the library.

Joshua M. Rosenberg is a Ph.D. student in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology program at Michigan State University. In his research, Joshua focuses on how social and cultural factors affect teaching and learning with technologies, in order to better understand and design learning environments that support learning for all students. Joshua currently serves as the associate chair for the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) Special Interest Group in the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Joshua was previously a high school science teacher, and holds degrees in education (M.A.) and biology (B.S.).