The blame (& praise) game continues

Written by: Punya Mishra

Primary Source: Punya Mishra’s Web

I have shared earlier a design for a reflection ambigram for the two words “praise” and “blame” – where one word becomes another when reflected in a mirror. In fact the design has been printed in 3D. As it turns out this was a design that I had made many years ago – and was for the most part, I was satisfied with it. Yes the “s” was a bit iffy – but hey, it worked. Here is the old design:

Praise Blame

But in the process of cleaning it up to give to Jon Good to print – I was more and more bothered by it, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new design. Overall the solution is the same – or at least shares the same skeletal structure – but the overall result is much better, and far more readable this time around. Enjoy.

blame-praise

This is part of the reason I love creating ambigrams. Letterforms are subtle, nuanced and rich arenas of exploration, and they never cease to surprise me even today, after so many years of playing with them.

Punya Mishra is a professor of Educational Psychology & Educational Technology at the College of Education at Michigan State University. He also directs the Master of Arts in Educational Technology program. He recently co-chaired the SITE 2011 conference at Nashville after having chaired the Innovation & Technology Committee of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. The readers and editors of Technology and Learning journal recently named him as one of the ten most influential people in educational technology.

Latest posts by Punya Mishra (see all)