Spencer writes in the library, part 11: Copy rights and cell phone wrongs

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place Thursday, August 7th around 1:30pm

The Spot

Where am I working today?

I am on the third floor of the east wing, on the south side of the building.

What’s a perk of this spot?

There wasn’t anyone really around in this spot today, and the chairs in this area all have wheels on them, so I could roll around a little when I was thinking of the next word to type. If you don’t think that’s a perk, you’re either way more grown up or a much more focused writer than I am!

What’s a problem with this spot?

You’ll remember that the problem with my last spot was someone being chatty on the phone. “No problem,” I thought, “the east wing is a quiet zone, so I’ll go there next time.” Despite there being about two dozen open desks on this floor, it turns out that the one person who had calls important enough to break the east wing rules sat down just a few spots away from me. I guess that’s not really an issue with the spot, though, and it’s also deep into “first world problem” territory, so I’ll stop complaining

What have I learned in this spot?

Did you know that the library has a copyright office? I guess it’s not that surprising, but it’s interesting to walk through the stacks of books and past all the desks and find what’s hiding back here. I love the idea that someone’s office is somewhere in the such-and-such section of the library, especially if that section has nothing to do with the subject you specialize in or the work that you do. I’ll have to keep my eye out for more interesting offices in the future.

How would I rate this spot?

4 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

I’m still working on the final paper that I mentioned last time. Things are going a little smoother here than they were in my last spot, but not by much.

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

I’m working on a grant proposal rather than an interview protocol, but the textbooks I’ve been reading about designing qualitative research point out that developing your research questions goes a long way towards developing your interview protocol. That is, knowing what questions you hope to answer with your research helps you know what questions to ask during your interview. I’ve never had a reason to doubt that assertion, but actually putting my research questions down on paper definitely reinforced the idea. I still have a lot of questions about this project, but things are starting to come together!

Latest posts by Spencer Greenhalgh (see all)