Spencer works in the library, part 15: With great power.

2014-09-06 13.42.41

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place Saturday, September 6th around 1:00pm.

The Spot

Where am I working today?

This very blurry picture was taken on the third floor of the west wing, near the stairs on the far west of the building.

What’s a perk of this spot?

There didn’t seem to be too many people up here this particular Saturday, so things were nice and quiet.

What’s a problem with this spot?

While there might not have been that many people around, I still didn’t like having my back to everyone that was walking by. Silly thing to classify as a problem, but there you have it.

What have I learned in this spot?

2014-09-06 13.43.18

This is another blurry picture, but right behind the desk where I was working was a little display dedicated to the extinction of the passenger pigeon. It was instructive to read about this again, but given the field I work in, it was especially instructive to read about the focus this display put on the role of technology in this species’s death. It serves as a reminder of my personal philosophy that as technology grows more powerful, we have a greater responsibility to act ethically. Newer technologies typically give us opportunities to make larger impacts on the world around us, but it’s up to us to determine whether those impacts are good or bad.

How would I rate this spot?

3 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

More work on the conference presentation for Meaningful Play that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago!

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

At this point in the process, we’d gone through a couple of drafts of the version of the presentation for the proceedings and had received some good feedback from my advisor, who is also an author on the presentation. I spent a fair amount of time this afternoon going through suggested edits and comments and trying to improve the paper, which we would ultimately submit about a week later.