Astronaut Chris Hadfield’s Best Photos From Space

Written by: Lisa Stelzner

Primary Source: Daily Dose of Science Blog

Well, I’m back.  It is much harder to stay on top of this blog than I thought during busy times of the semester.  There is a week and a half until my grades are submitted and hopefully I am a little less busy.  I do have a lot of articles saved up to share, though, so I’ll start with some of the easy, fun ones.

Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield spent five months in space on his most recent trip to the International Space Station.  He became famous after his social media videos and posts on social media went viral, including his renditionof David Bowie’s Space Oddity (that now has over 24 million views).  Forbes even declared Hadfield “perhaps the most social media savvy astronaut ever to leave Earth.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hadfield

Hadfield recently published a photo book called “You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes,”with 192 photos that he took himself from the space station.  He tried to intentionally take photos that displayed a human element to them and told a story that people would be interested in.

What I find really admirable is the book’s proceeds are being donated to the Red Cross.  Hadfield said, “My motivation was not to get rich making this book. It was much more that I wanted people to see the world the way we see it from the space station and hopefully feel some of the change of perspective.”

The following link shows a nice collection of Hadfield’s photos and descriptions from the book . Enjoy!

http://qz.com/288018/astronaut-chris-hadfield-took-45000-jaw-dropping-photos-from-space-here-are-some-of-the-best/

Lisa Stelzner
I'm a plant biology PhD student studying monarch butterflies in Michigan, but I'm interested in lots of other types of science, too. I am interested in how breeding monarch butterflies choose their habitat based on floral species richness and abundance. Few studies have been conducted on optimal foraging theory when it involves an organism searching for two different kinds of resources, and butterflies are an ideal study system to investigate this, since many species are ovipositing specialists and only lay eggs on one species of hostplant, but are feeding generalists and nectar from a broad variety of flowering forbs.