Letter of resignation

Written by: C. Titus Brown

Primary Source: Living in an Ivory Basement

Dear <chairs>,

I am resigning my Assistant Professor position at Michigan State University effective January 2nd, 2015.

Sincerely,

CTB.

Anticipated FAQ:

• Why? I’m moving to UC Davis.
  • Do you have an employment contract with UC Davis?? Nope. But I’m starting there in January, anyway. Or that’s the plan. And yes, that’s how this kind of thing happen. I’m carefully refraining from geopolitical commentary on Twitter at the moment :).
  • Do you have tenure there? Nope. Wheels are still turning.
  • Aren’t you nervous about that? Not really. Even if I don’t get tenure, they’ve promised to hire me. And if that doesn’t work out, someone will hire me… right? Guys? Guys? Why did it go silent all of a sudden?
  • Why didn’t you use ‘I am hereby…’ at the beginning? I don’t know, seemed pretentious.

–titus

C. Titus Brown
C. Titus Brown is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics. He earned his PhD ('06) in developmental molecular biology from the California Institute of Technology. Brown is director of the laboratory for Genomics, Evolution, and Development (GED) at Michigan State University. He is a member of the Python Software Foundation and an active contributor to the open source software community. His research interests include computational biology, bioinformatics, open source software development, and software engineering.