Spencer writes in the library, part 21: Back to the CADL

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place Saturday, November 22nd around 1:00pm.

The Spot

Where am I working today?

Woohoo! I’m back at the CADL! The last time I wrote about this particular library, I vowed to return, since I didn’t get to spend enough time exploring it then. Well, I came back for a few hours this afternoon and tried out a nice working area up in the second floor non-fiction section.

What’s a perk of this spot?

It’s roomy. Not that there aren’t a lot of books up here, but this area doesn’t feel as boxed in as some of the places I’ve worked in the MSU main library.

What’s a problem with this spot?

There was one loud talker and even one snorer (come to think of it, it might have been the same guy) in the table area right behind these desks, but I actually found it more funny than annoying. It’s fun to come to a community library and see all the different ways (not just reading, writing, and research) that it’s being used.

What have I learned in this spot?

A little bit about the different languages of the world. I’ve seen maps like this before, and I have some questions/doubts about how this one was organized, but even though I’m functionally bilingual, it’s easy for me to forget about all of the other languages in the world (besides English and French). It’s fun to get a reminder about the diversity of ways that we express ourselves.

How would I rate this spot?

6 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

I’ve been mentioning a certain book chapter for several months now, and things are finally coming to a close! To briefly summarize what this is about, I help teach a capstone portfolio course for the Master of Arts in Educational Technology program at MSU, and we as an instructional team have previously presented on what we’ve learned while designing and teaching this course. Since then, my advisor and I have worked on turning that presentation into a book chapter for the upcoming Handbook of Research on Teacher Education in the Digital Age.

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

Seeing the finish line! Today’s work was working my way through an editing checklist that the editors of the handbook provided us to make sure that our chapter was up to snuff. In addition to checking items off of that list, I was getting the chapter ready for some more professional editing by my sister, a talented copyeditor.

Latest posts by Spencer Greenhalgh (see all)