Spencer writes in the library, part 27: How do you say “Donald Duck” in Arabic (or possibly Farsi)?

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place Thursday, January 22nd around 9:30am.

The Spot

Where am I working today?

I’m on the north side of the second floor of the west wing of the library. I found myself a nice little table near the copy center and have set up shop with my new laptop stand.

What’s a perk of this spot?

There are plenty of things not to like about the weather in Michigan this time of year, but this view of the Beaumont Tower in the snow is a really nice one.

What’s a problem with this spot?

I felt a little out of place since this was kind of a lone table by the window rather than part of a cluster of study tables, but that really wasn’t a big deal.

What have I learned in this spot?

This sight caught my eye as I was making my way up to the second floor today. I’ve heard good things about the collection of comic books in MSU Special Collections, but seeing these examples really piqued my interest. I’ll have to pay them a visit sometime!

How would I rate this spot?

6 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

I’ve been publishing these posts on Mondays for the past several months, so why an out-of-the-blue Friday post? Is it because I spent half of Monday playing Axis and Allies with friends and never quite made it to the library? Not quite, though there is more truth to that than I’d like to admit.

I’ve decided to change things up a little bit this semester. Rather than report on reading, researching, and writing generally, I want to use this blog series as an accountability measure for my second-year practicum, an exciting research project that I plan to finish by the end of the semester. If I’m going to meet that goal, I need to work on my practicum regularly. My current plan is to spend Thursdays working on my practicum, so I’ll be posting

However, before I can complete the project, I have to propose it and have that proposal accepted. I already know what I want to do for my project, but I’m still a little fuzzy on the statistical tests that I want to use to answer my research questions. I spent a few hours today organizing the notes I’ve collected so far and reading about stepwise regression methods to see if that’s the way for me to go.

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 22.41.00

I didn’t make as much stats progress as I was hoping today, but I was able to savor some small victories. The first was to use Scapple, my mind-mapping program of choice, to organize my thoughts on what statistical tests I’ll be using. In the past, I’ve had trouble remembering all the different things that I need to consider, and I’ve so far found mind-mapping to be useful in keeping track of my train of thought as I weigh different methods.

Latest posts by Spencer Greenhalgh (see all)