Making Math Fun

Written by: Paul Rubin

Primary Source: OR in an OB World

I was a math major from undergrad to doctorate, so obviously I think math is fun. Equally obvious to me (especially after teaching a variety of mathematical topics to college students), not everyone shares that opinion, which is too bad. Recently, though, I came across an organization devoted to making math fun for small children, and I wanted to share the link: Bedtime Math

Bedtime Math provides a variety of resources for introducing children to math in a fun way. The organization’s name comes from the notion that a vignette with a math problem at its core makes a good bedtime story. They also encourage development of after-school math clubs, where kids can do fun activities with a mathematical theme.

If you are a parent of small children, and you want your kids to learn to enjoy mathematics, this seems to be a good starting point. There are books, videos and a daily math problem via email. There’s even (shock!) an app for that.

I'm an apostate mathematician, retired from a business school after 33 years of teaching mostly (but not exclusively) quantitative methods courses. My academic interests lie in operations research. I also study Tae Kwon Do a bit on the side.

Latest posts by Paul Rubin (see all)