17th Century Hand Stitched Binding Repair

Written by: Bexx Caswell-Olson

Primary Source: Wallace Conservation Lab

Check out this super cool hand-stitched repair I found in an early 17th century binding.  I’ve seen this type of repair done in vellum manuscripts, but never on paper.  Although it isn’t the most perfect repair, it has a certain Frankenstein’s monster look to it that I can’t help but love.Want to see this book in Special Collections?  Find it here.- Bexx

Check out this super cool hand-stitched repair I found in an early 17th century binding.  I’ve seen this type of repair done in vellum manuscripts, but never on paper.  Although it isn’t the most perfect repair, it has a certain Frankenstein’s monster look to it that I can’t help but love.

Want to see this book in Special Collections?  Find it here.

– Bexx

Bexx Caswell-Olson
Before migrating to Michigan and beginning work at the MSU Libraries Wallace Conservation Lab, Bexx Caswell-Olson was employed as a bookbinder and book conservator in private practice in Iowa City, IA. Prior to running her own business, Bexx spent nearly a decade living in the Boston area where she worked in a variety of libraries and conservation labs, including those at Harvard and MIT. She is Vice President of the Guild of Book Workers, a national organization for those working in bookbinding, book conservation, and the book arts. Bexx holds a Certificate in Bookbinding from the North Bennet Street School and a Master’s of Library Science from Simmons College. In addition to her passion for bookbinding, Bexx also has an affinity for typography, bibliomysteries, seed bead weaving, and vegan baking.