Spencer writes in the library, part 32: “My ideal library…”

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place Thursday, February 19th around 2:00pm.

The Spot

Where am I working today?

I’m continuing my exploration of the third floor of the west wing of the library. I’m not quite to but getting closer to the west wall of the floor, at some nice desks.

What’s a perk of this spot?

Some of the desks I’ve been using recently have been a little too high for my wrists, which has caused some discomfort typing. This one was a little lower, which was kind of helpful.

What’s a problem with this spot?

This certainly isn’t the location’s fault, but I had some so-funny-I-had-to-stifle-giggles moments in the library today, and there was no way to hide myself or my laughter from the other people in the area.

What have I learned in this spot?

I learned a fair amount about what people expect from an “ideal library” today. More importantly, I learned that the MSU Library is eager to find out what we expect from it, which I find to be pretty impressive.

How would I rate this spot?

5 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

Today, I worked towards taking the last steps towards collecting all of the data I needed before I could start doing statistical tests.

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

I finally heard back from a statistics consultant! I have a meeting scheduled for next Monday, and I’m excited to get this show on the road! Plus, I managed to collect the remaining data I need for my analysis. This was harder than I thought it was going to be, though, because some of the XML documents I was looking up today were set up differently than the ones I worked on last week. This led to a frustrating but ultimately gratifying journey into learning how to retrieve a different kind of data from XML files. It probably took me longer to figure this out than it would have to retrieve everything manually, but I think that this will pay off over the long run. I’ve learned how to retrieve a fair amount from XML docs over the past few weeks/months, and I’m hoping to find plenty of ways to put all of this to use!

Latest posts by Spencer Greenhalgh (see all)