Plaster Creek Sculpture Trail

Written by: Daniel Postellon

Primary Source: Daniel Postellon

This is a proposal for a new site for public sculpture in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The proposed sculpture trail will be entirely on land owned by the city of Grand Rapids, bounded on the east by Kalamazoo Avenue, the north by Plaster Creek, the west by Ken-O-Sha Park, and the south by 32nd Street SE.   Map

The proposed trail will be primarily for the viewing of public sculpture, but will also serve as protection for the floodplain of Plaster Creek. Kenosha Drive itself could also be used as an extension of the Plaster Creek Trail. This will re-purpose unused city-owned land, and add to the value of the surrounding community.

Similar sculpture parks or trails in other communities include Sculpture Trails in Solsberry, Indiana, Josephine Sculpture Park in Shafer, Minnesota, Jeske Sculpture Park in Ferguson, Missouri, and Sculpture Fields at Montague Park in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Daniel Postellon
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. As a child, I played on old coal mine dumps in my neighborhood, which were the remains of mines that fed the J&L iron and steel works. Although I had uncles who worked there, I did not pour iron myself until I managed to get to Herman. Minnesota, for their last pour. Wayne Potratz helped me accomplish my first large scale iron casting,which weighed 50 lbs. It was somewhat difficult to find a place to cast iron, until I took a summer program at Ox-bow, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, under Norwood Viviano and Dan Matheson. I later went to the Indianapolis Art Center for a multiple-furnace iron pour, and did a few “rolly molds” under Kelly Ludeking’s instruction. I have built a small aluminum foundry in my backyard, where I can produce maquettes and other small-scale castings.
Daniel Postellon

Latest posts by Daniel Postellon (see all)