Magnetism and Mysticism

Written by: Daniel Postellon

Primary Source: Postellon

The Pedvale Open Air Art Museum lies in a magnetic field. The magnetic force lines of this field interact with the large granite and iron sculptures to create some unusual magnetic effects. The lifting ring

This is the cast iron ring.  The bolts run through the base, then through  an oval hole in the upper arms, then directly into the stone.

This is the cast iron ring. The bolts run through the base, then through an oval hole in the upper arms, then directly into the stone.

on my sculpture, Sekimori Ishi

Sekimori Ishi

Sekimori Ishi

attracts the north pole of a magnetic compass. On the other side of the park, Carl Billingsley’s sculpture Iron Lightning click for photo of Iron Lightning (Dzelzs zibens) attracts the opposite south pole. In essence, these two sculptures form a large magnet in the park. Other sculptures in the park are similarly magnetized.

Daniel Postellon
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. As a child, I played on old coal mine dumps in my neighborhood, which were the remains of mines that fed the J&L iron and steel works. Although I had uncles who worked there, I did not pour iron myself until I managed to get to Herman. Minnesota, for their last pour. Wayne Potratz helped me accomplish my first large scale iron casting,which weighed 50 lbs. It was somewhat difficult to find a place to cast iron, until I took a summer program at Ox-bow, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, under Norwood Viviano and Dan Matheson. I later went to the Indianapolis Art Center for a multiple-furnace iron pour, and did a few “rolly molds” under Kelly Ludeking’s instruction. I have built a small aluminum foundry in my backyard, where I can produce maquettes and other small-scale castings.
Daniel Postellon

Latest posts by Daniel Postellon (see all)