Collect weed seeds now if resistance is suspected

Written by: Erin Hill

Primary Source:  MSU Weeds.com Blog

If you suspect that you have herbicide resistant weeds in your fields, now is the time to collect seed and have it tested. This week I began my new role as the Weed/Herbicide Diagnostician with MSU Diagnostic Services. One of my main responsibilities is continuing the herbicide resistance screening that has been conducted in Christy Sprague’s laboratory the past several years. The Michigan Soybean Promotion Committee has agreed to continue to suplement the costs of this testing for soybean growers so that they may submit samples free of charge. Species that are eligible for the free testing include amaranth species (Palmer amaranth, common waterhemp, Powell amaranth), maretail/horseweed, common and giant ragweed, and common lambsquarters. A minimum of 5 plants with mature seed present should be collected, stored in a sealed paper bag and mailed or brought into Diagnostic Services (578 Wilson Rd., Room. 107, East Lansing, MI 48824-6469). Please also send in a completed form with your submission (MSPC resistance screen form).

The turn around time for results can  be 2-3 months to allow us to clean samples, break seed dormancy, grow and treat seedlings in the greenhouse, and assess control.

Stay tuned as I develop some photos and other materials to ensure the best collection of samples.

Recently this topic has been in the MI news:

Consider collecting seeds from weed escapes if you think they may be resistant to herbicides  -MSUE, Bruce MacKellar

Also,  stay tuned for a video that Christy Sprague and I recorded with MSPC this week further detailing detecting and confirming resistance.

Erin Hill
I am interested in weed ecology as it pertains to agricultural production. I am also interested in field crop and vegetable production systems, the use of cover crops and other sustainable practices, herbicide resistance, and environmental preservation.