Crisis

Primary Source : New Europe – Europe and Migration, March 22, 2016

This morning, the following things happened in this order:

PEGIDA shared a post by Vera Lengsfeld, CDU politician, which implied that Merkel was responsible for the attacks in Brussels due to her open-door policy.

I shared this post, expressing concern for Lengsfeld’s Orbanization – i.e. the process by which those who were involved in the Peaceful Revolution in their youth seem to be turning towards nationalist populism in ways that – in retrospect – seem predictable, but are still both disorientating and demoralizing. (Both Orban and Lengsfeld were activists against Soviet socialist rule).

I wanted to know what had happened in Brussels, and was remarkably numb at the mention of another terrorist attack. After Istanbul, Ankara, Baidoa, Paris, Meme, Dikwa

My shared post on Facebook disappeared. FB had temporarily closed Lengsfeld’s account. They won’t take down the posts of PEGIDA or Beatrix von Storch, but they took down a lukewarm racist post in seconds.

Then I read about the mass internments that are taking place in Greece, where refugees are being held before being deported.

Matthias Monroy @gipfelsoli

#Chios Since yesterday, refugees arriving were detained to have them ready for deportation: refugeetrail.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/thi… pic.twitter.com/x4HhbpUWgO

Then, while I was composing this post, Donald Trump posted this.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

My heart & prayers go out to all of the victims of the terrible #Brussels tragedy. This madness must be stopped, and I will stop it.

There’s not really anything else to say.

Johanna Schuster-Craig
Johanna Schuster-Craig : In Europe, Scandinavia and the United States, right-wing movements of all shapes and sizes are voicing political opinions that both garner public support as well as unleash xenophobia, racism and resentments against the political elite. Many are grounded in fundamentally religious ideologies. I post about a variety of topics that have to do with understanding right-wing movements, especially when these intersect with immigration, refugee, integration politics and US/Europe comparisons. I am currently an Assistant Professor of German and Global Studies at Michigan State University.
Johanna Schuster-Craig

Latest posts by Johanna Schuster-Craig (see all)