10 Reasons Why I Bike

Written by: Josh Rosenberg

Primary Source:  Joshua M. Rosenberg – May 22, 2016

I spent the last weekend catching up after a busy past month and biked with my wife Katie around town, and, in the process, thought about why I bike. Here are 10 reasons why:

1. It’s a good form of exercise. Biking, even just a mile or two, is good for my physical fitness, especially for days when I’m not otherwise active.
  2. It’s a good mode of transportation. I don’t like to drive, and biking allows me to travel to most of the places I commute to on a day-to-day basis.
  3. It’s inexpensive. Biking is inexpensive; good bikes can be found for $400-500 and even very nice bikes that can last a lifetime (literally, in the case of bikes with steel frames) can be found for less than $1,000, and maintaining them costs significantly less than cars.
  4. It’s fun. I look forward to biking because I enjoy plugging in headphones and rocking out to Spotify or listening to a podcast on my playlist. Biking can be a stress-reliever.
  5. It’s friendly to the environment. Transportation accounts for a significant proportion of our carbon footprint and bikes emit very little in terms greenhouse gases.
  6. It’s something a lot of people can do. Compared to many activities, biking is not hard to learn, for those who are physically able.
  7. It can help build community. Bicycles are still primarily sold in local bike shops and when people need repairs, they usually go to the shop they bought their bike from for service. Bikers and bike shops are also often sources for information about bike paths, group rides, and events.
  8. It’s a way to see new things close to home. I see parts of my city differently when I bike, from places like parks to people like construction workers going about their daily lives.
  9. It’s a way to explore someplace new. When I’m somewhere new, biking is a great way to explore a new city or neighborhood/
  10. It’s a way to take an inexpensive vacation. I took a bike tour last summer with Katie, and it was an inexpensive adventure that was also very fun.
Joshua M. Rosenberg is a Ph.D. student in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology program at Michigan State University. In his research, Joshua focuses on how social and cultural factors affect teaching and learning with technologies, in order to better understand and design learning environments that support learning for all students. Joshua currently serves as the associate chair for the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) Special Interest Group in the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Joshua was previously a high school science teacher, and holds degrees in education (M.A.) and biology (B.S.).