Facebook reactions to Big Ten (B1G) schools’ posts

Written by: Josh Rosenberg

Primary Source:  Joshua M. Rosenberg – November 26, 2016

I’m (obviously) a Spartan fan, though this season has been tough.

In part as a distraction during “The Game,” I was curious about reactions to Big Ten, now sometimes (always?) stylized as B1G (in part because the Big Ten now has 14 schools?) schools’ Facebook pages.

Of course, these are their academic pages, so anything athletics-related is secondary to posts about the schools in general.

I used a program from Woolf to collect the data (it only took a few minutes) and came up with the following:

Overall? There are more reactions to Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin’s pages, it seems. The better approach may be to consider the reactions / posts rate, instead of the total number. Nevertheless, this was a welcome distraction, and, perhaps something to look into more in the future.

The program, data, and analysis are available here.

As an aside, and not only as a way to give a link back so I can request to add my blog, R Bloggers is a good resource and community. I have followed it for years and if you’re interested in R or just interesting data science-related ideas, then take a look.

Related: I analyzed the number of interactions with presidential candidate’s Facebook pages (note to self: probably should have paid better attention to this).

Joshua M. Rosenberg is a Ph.D. student in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology program at Michigan State University. In his research, Joshua focuses on how social and cultural factors affect teaching and learning with technologies, in order to better understand and design learning environments that support learning for all students. Joshua currently serves as the associate chair for the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) Special Interest Group in the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Joshua was previously a high school science teacher, and holds degrees in education (M.A.) and biology (B.S.).