2016 (on two wheels)

Written by: Josh Rosenberg

Primary Source:  Joshua M. Rosenberg – December 18, 2016

2016 (on two wheels) was a good year with some challenging points too.

Here were some rides silly, challenging, and otherwise memorable:

1. This was one of the most strange rides ever. Katie and I decided to head to St. John’s. It doesn’t look too far (from where we are in Lansing), and it’s not, but the route took us first past a golf course (nice!), past a Granger landfill (not as nice!), then past this on the Looking Glass River:

1. We biked to Mason on a Saturday night in what was one of the most fun rides this year. Mason isn’t far, but on bike it takes you through farms, then on a bike pathway through a creek (the Grand River enters Lansing from the west side of town opposite Mason), then into Mason. We ended up at Bad Brewing, where we ate BBQ then biked home:
  2. This summer, we went to Wilderness State Park, one of my favorite places in Michigan, with my parents. Looking at the map, it was pretty obvious (to me) that we could save a lot of time, and get to the Lake Michigan shoreline a lot faster, by taking a shortcut through the park. This turned out to be one of my worst decisions yet, as we found ourselves if not lost, then definitely on an uncut hiking trail, without cellular service, and with two energy bars between us. We eventually found a trail that led to the lakeshore, where we met a family who gave us food and pointed us up the beach toward the road. It was a silly, somewhat trying experience, and needless to say, this picture is from the next day (though there are a few unhappy pictures the day of):
  3. This next ride is a series of rides throughout the summer and fall to Kenneth Hope. I discovered a shortcut from our house to the soccer complex and biked to there and back when I had to referee soccer games. It combined two of my favorite things and I got to enjoy both a bit more because of it. No one picture for this one.
  4. Another ride without a picture, but Katie and I happened to meet someone who had biked from Indiana to attend a conference at MSU. We exchanged contact information, and met up later in the week to bike part of the Lansing River Trail. We were joined by our friend, and biked along the South Lansing Pathway to Waverly, and then back on the River Trail to Lansing, where we ended up eating pizza at Crunchy’s. It was a fun ride around parts of Lansing you don’t often see when visiting. And we got to meet someone and show them where we liked to bike around town.
  5. The Leelanau Peninsula in Northern Michigan is an epically beautiful place to ride. There also happens to be a great trail network, one that Katie and I rode last summer when we biked from Leelanau State Park to Suttons Bay and Leland, and then back to the tip of the peninsula. Last year, I was completing my comprehensive exams when we biked it. I took my computer alongside our camping equipment in our bike trailer, which somehow worked (I didn’t have my computer stolen, pass the comprehensive exams, and Katie and I still managed to have a really good time). Here’s a picture from Leland:

Anyhow, after biking it in somewhat silly fashion last year, I was able to bike part of it this year, from Interlochen, to Traverse City, and then back to Suttons Bay and back home. It was not as good as Katie and my tour the last year, but was a nice ride nevertheless.

Part of 2016 (on two wheels) was great. Other parts were not. Namely, Katie was hit by a car in early October. She was biking in town and the accident happened at an intersection we bike past on a regular basis. It was a traumatic experience, but Katie has done an awesome job of recovering. We are looking forward to more good – and safer – bike memories for 2017.

Joshua M. Rosenberg is a Ph.D. student in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology program at Michigan State University. In his research, Joshua focuses on how social and cultural factors affect teaching and learning with technologies, in order to better understand and design learning environments that support learning for all students. Joshua currently serves as the associate chair for the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) Special Interest Group in the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Joshua was previously a high school science teacher, and holds degrees in education (M.A.) and biology (B.S.).