Time and Memory

Written by: Stephen Hsu

Primary Source: Information Processing

Over the holiday I started digging through my mom’s old albums and boxes of photos. I found some pictures I didn’t know existed!

Richard Feynman and the 19 year old me at my Caltech graduation:

With my mom that morning — hung-over, but very happy! I think those are some crazy old school Ray Bans :-)

Memories of Feynman: “Hey SHOE!”, “Gee, you’re a BIG GUY. Do you ever go to those HEALTH clubs?”

This is me at ~200 pounds, playing LB and FB back when Caltech still had a football team. Plenty of baby fat! I had never run anything but sprints until after football. I dropped 10 or 15 pounds just by jogging a few times per week between senior year and grad school.

Here I am in graduate school. Note the Miami Vice look — no socks!

Ten years after college graduation, as a Yale professor, competing in Judo and BJJ in the 80 kg (176 lbs) weight category. This photo was taken on the Kona coast of the big island in Hawaii. I had been training with Enson Inoue at Grappling Unlimited in Honolulu.

Me, as a baby:

Stephen Hsu
Stephen Hsu is vice president for Research and Graduate Studies at Michigan State University. He also serves as scientific adviser to BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) and as a member of its Cognitive Genomics Lab. Hsu’s primary work has been in applications of quantum field theory, particularly to problems in quantum chromodynamics, dark energy, black holes, entropy bounds, and particle physics beyond the standard model. He has also made contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, the theory of modern finance, and in encryption and information security. Founder of two Silicon Valley companies—SafeWeb, a pioneer in SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Networks) appliances, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003, and Robot Genius Inc., which developed anti-malware technologies—Hsu has given invited research seminars and colloquia at leading research universities and laboratories around the world.
Stephen Hsu

Latest posts by Stephen Hsu (see all)