Pro Bono Analytics Is Growing Social

Written by: Paul Rubin

Primary Source: OR in an OB World

Pro Bono Analytics is a program by INFORMS (the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences, for the acronym-averse), “the largest society in the world for professionals in the field of operations research (O.R.), management science, and analytics”. PBA “connects our members and other analytics professionals with nonprofit organizations working in underserved and developing communities”. In other words, we hook up charitable organizations needing analytics or OR help with volunteers willing to provide it without compensation. Our volunteers are a mix of industry practitioners, academics, students and the occasional geezer
retiree. I think the majority of the volunteer pool comes from the U. S., and a majority are
INFORMS members, but we have volunteers from as far away as Australia, and a significant portion are non-members.

I’d encourage anyone with OR/MS/analytics skills to consider volunteering, and anyone who knows a charitable organization (particularly those of limited financial means) to let them know we’re out there willing to extend a helping hand. Both potential clients and potential volunteers can find out more, and signify their interest, at the PBA home page (repeating the link above).

Our new (and apparently energetic) staff liaison, Tia Carrai, has expanded PBA’s social media footprint. You can find us now on the following:

I’d also like to give a shout-out to Pro Bono O.R., a like-minded initiative by our sister institution in the U. K., the Operational Research Society.

I'm an apostate mathematician, retired from a business school after 33 years of teaching mostly (but not exclusively) quantitative methods courses. My academic interests lie in operations research. I also study Tae Kwon Do a bit on the side.

Latest posts by Paul Rubin (see all)