Written by: Abbey Frazier
Primary Source: Michigan Policy Wonk Blog, July 10, 2017
Our weekly roundup of policy-relevant reads and IPPSR-connected research.
- Michigan Schools That Sue The State Would Be Punished Under 2018 Budget (link is external) IPPSR Affiliate Kristi Bowman reacts to a new school state budget provision.
- Has The Death Of American Manufacturing Been Exaggerated? (link is external) IPPSR Affiliate Lisa Cook discusses the ongoing importantance of manufacturing at recent Aspen Ideas Festival.
- Does Religion Protect Against Suicide? (link is external) MSU researcher Ning Hsieh explores the relationships between religious participation and suicide in recent study.
- Greitens Signs Bill Creating Alert System For Attacks On Law Enforcement Officers (link is external) IPPSR Affiliate David Carter discusses the effectiveness of “Blue Alerts.”
- The Secret To Living Forever May Be The Quality Of Your Friendships (link is external) IPPSR Affiliate William Chopik talks friendships and health.
- Silicon Valley Spurs Coding Push In Schools (link is external) IPPSR Affiliate Sarah Reckhow comments on initiatives to bring coding to schools.
- MI Senator Aims To Ban Use Of Redskins Mascot (link is external) Michigan Political Leadership Program (MPLP) Alumni and state Sen. Wayne Schmidt introduces bill that would ban the use of “Redskins” as school mascots.
- Michigan Tax Incentives For Large Companies Falls Apart In House (link is external) MPLP Alumni and House Democratic Leader Sam Singh comments on tax incentive bills.
- In Michigan, Disagreement Over The Significance Of Gerrymandering And How To Address It (link is external) MPLP Alumni and state Rep. Jeremy Moss discusses gerrymandering in Michigan.
The following two tabs change content below.
Abbey entered the Masters in Public Policy program in the fall of 2016 and she currently works as a policy fellow for Michigan State’s Institute for Public Policy and Social Research (IPPSR). She has also worked as a budget & policy analyst for the State Budget Office covering health and social welfare policy and financing since 2014. Abbey received her B.A. in economics from Michigan State in 2013.
Latest posts by Abbey Frazier (see all)
- Report: Michigan Lags in Evidence-based Policymaking - July 17, 2017
- In Other Words (Week of July 17) - July 14, 2017
- Independent Streams (Week of July 10) - July 10, 2017