Robot Overlords and the Academy

Written by: Stephen Hsu

Primary Source: Information Processing

In a previous post Half of all jobs (> $60k/y) coding related? I wrote

In the future there will be two kinds of jobs. Workers will either

Tell computers what to do
or
Be told by computers what to do

I’ve been pushing Michigan State University to offer a coding bootcamp experience to all undergraduates who want it: e.g., Codecademy.com. The goal isn’t to turn non-STEM majors into software developers, but to give all interested students exposure to an increasingly important and central aspect of the modern world.

I even invited the CodeNow CEO to campus to help push the idea. We’re still working on it at the university — painfully SLOWLY, if you ask me. But this fall I learned my kids are taking a class based on Codecademy at their middle school! Go figure.

(Image via 12)

Stephen Hsu
Stephen Hsu is vice president for Research and Graduate Studies at Michigan State University. He also serves as scientific adviser to BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) and as a member of its Cognitive Genomics Lab. Hsu’s primary work has been in applications of quantum field theory, particularly to problems in quantum chromodynamics, dark energy, black holes, entropy bounds, and particle physics beyond the standard model. He has also made contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, the theory of modern finance, and in encryption and information security. Founder of two Silicon Valley companies—SafeWeb, a pioneer in SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Networks) appliances, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003, and Robot Genius Inc., which developed anti-malware technologies—Hsu has given invited research seminars and colloquia at leading research universities and laboratories around the world.