Allen Institute meeting on Genetics of Complex Traits

Written by: Stephen Hsu

Primary Source: Information Processing

You can probably tell by all the photos below that I am in love with their new building :-)

I was a participant in this event: What Makes Us Human? The Genetics of Complex Traits (Allen Frontiers Group), including in a small second day workshop with just the speakers and the AI leadership. This workshop will, I hope, result in some interesting new initiatives in complex trait genomics!

I’d like to thank the Allen Institute organizers for making this such a pleasant and productive 2 days. I learned some incredible things from the other speakers and I recommend all of their talks (should appear on AI site eventually).

My talk:

Action photos:

Working hard on day 2 in the little conference room :-)

Stephen Hsu
Stephen Hsu is vice president for Research and Graduate Studies at Michigan State University. He also serves as scientific adviser to BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) and as a member of its Cognitive Genomics Lab. Hsu’s primary work has been in applications of quantum field theory, particularly to problems in quantum chromodynamics, dark energy, black holes, entropy bounds, and particle physics beyond the standard model. He has also made contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, the theory of modern finance, and in encryption and information security. Founder of two Silicon Valley companies—SafeWeb, a pioneer in SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Networks) appliances, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003, and Robot Genius Inc., which developed anti-malware technologies—Hsu has given invited research seminars and colloquia at leading research universities and laboratories around the world.