Genetic testing and embryo selection: current status and ethical issues

Written by: Stephen Hsu

Primary Source: Information Processing

This is a conversation with two Stanford students about the current status of genetic testing of embryos in IVF, focusing on related ethical issues. Because there is a lot of interest in this topic I suggested we record the conversation and put it online.

I was at Stanford last fall to give a #nofilter talk on this subject, which is where I met one of the students in the video. When I was at Caltech we used to think of Stanford as kind of a soft place, where people didn’t have to work so hard. Well, things are different now! My talk was on Friday evening in the Gates Computer Science Building. As I crossed campus I passed football fans (mostly alumni) clad in cardinal (Stanford) and purple (U Washington) heading toward the stadium. I was shocked to find the CS building full of students working really hard at 5:30pm on Friday! (Just like tech, back in the day, I thought.) I was told that 1000 students are enrolled in the machine learning course…

Stephen Hsu
Stephen Hsu is vice president for Research and Graduate Studies at Michigan State University. He also serves as scientific adviser to BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) and as a member of its Cognitive Genomics Lab. Hsu’s primary work has been in applications of quantum field theory, particularly to problems in quantum chromodynamics, dark energy, black holes, entropy bounds, and particle physics beyond the standard model. He has also made contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, the theory of modern finance, and in encryption and information security. Founder of two Silicon Valley companies—SafeWeb, a pioneer in SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Networks) appliances, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003, and Robot Genius Inc., which developed anti-malware technologies—Hsu has given invited research seminars and colloquia at leading research universities and laboratories around the world.
Stephen Hsu

Latest posts by Stephen Hsu (see all)