Some books, NAP reports, and other newer resources related to science education

Written by: Josh Rosenberg

Primary Source: Joshua M. Rosenberg, May 9, 2018.

I’ll be starting a position in STEM Education at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, beginning this August. As part of this position, I’ll teach science teaching methods (and science and STEM education research-related) courses. Hearing about the course I’ll teach this fall gave me an impetus to begin bto prepare and to read some resources I’ve been wanting to read, for a number of differnet reasons.

So, this is a loosely-organized collection of some resources–especially some new(er) books and National Academies Press (NAP) reports–related to science teaching and learning. I leave “oldies but goodies”, like Taking Science to School (2007), the Framework for K-12 Science Education (2012), and America’s Lab Report (2006) for example.

As a few notes, while I didn’t add annotation on why they’re included, I think these are all worth (at least my) attention. Also, these are just what I’ve found and am trying to read right now. I am sure there are a number of other great, new resources that I missed–and look forward to finding out about!

Books

NAP reports

Other resources

Joshua M. Rosenberg is a Ph.D. student in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology program at Michigan State University. In his research, Joshua focuses on how social and cultural factors affect teaching and learning with technologies, in order to better understand and design learning environments that support learning for all students. Joshua currently serves as the associate chair for the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) Special Interest Group in the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education. Joshua was previously a high school science teacher, and holds degrees in education (M.A.) and biology (B.S.).