The 24 Hour Deadline

Written by: Kelly Turner

Primary Source: Writing Rhetoric and American Cultures

Source: HackCollege

Source: HackCollege

I’ve always believed that my best work comes when I’m pressed for time and my paper is due tomorrow and I haven’t started it at all so I have to furiously type away at the keyboard until it’s done. That worked well in high school when I produced an entirety of a 36-page research paper by pulling an all-nighter the night before it was due. Or maybe I’m just amazed that I did it in the first place. Regardless, it’s not the best method for producing quality papers. HackCollege suggests the first place to start is with an outline. Rarely do you find a paper that doesn’t have some form of a structure. From there, you just need to get all your ideas down. Write, don’t edit. That comes later. Get all the key points down, even if it’s not quite right. It’s just important to put it all down on paper. However, this can be the hardest part.

Maybe nothing is coming to you and you feel exhausted or restless or uninspired. Take a walk, talk to a friend about your ideas, take a snack break. When you come back, you’ll have a different outlook on the idea and hopefully be inspired to write more. You need to manage your time well during the writing phase. Maybe spread it out over a few days, write in short bursts so it doesn’t overwhelm you. Planning ahead and getting a few thoughts down at a time is the best course of action. Don’t leave it to the night before. Hit up HackCollege for more tips on writing papers.

Kelly Turner
Kelly Turner is a Junior and Professional Writing major here at MSU. Writing, reading, and obsessing over TV shows and books are how she likes to spend her time. She believes peace, love, and reading are all we need. She loves website development and environmental science, and if you can’t tell, she’s a huge nerd. She’d also like to die peacefully in a bath of peanut butter and chocolate. Follow Kelly on Twitter @wordscreateus.
Kelly Turner

Latest posts by Kelly Turner (see all)