Updated Benders Example

Written by: Paul Rubin

Primary Source: OR in an OB World

Two years ago, I posted an example of how to implement Benders decomposition in CPLEX using the Java API. At the time, I believe the current version of CPLEX was 12.4; as of this writing, it is 12.6.0.1. Around version 12.5, IBM refactored the Java API for CPLEX and, in the process, made one or more non-backward-compatible changes that broke the sample code. This morning, I posted an updated version.

While I was at it, I decided to create a Git repository for the code on Bitbucket. You can access the repository at https://bitbucket.org/prubin/bendersexample. If you click the “Downloads” link in the navigation menu, you will be led to a page from which you can download the source code in a Zip archive. (There is no executable for this project, just the source.) There is also a link to an issue tracker in case you run into a bug (not that I ever write code with bugs in it) and wish to report it.

The code and issue tracker should be accessible to anonymous users (no login required). If not, hopefully someone will let me know. As with the blog, the code is released under a rather permissive Creative Commons license.

I'm an apostate mathematician, retired from a business school after 33 years of teaching mostly (but not exclusively) quantitative methods courses. My academic interests lie in operations research. I also study Tae Kwon Do a bit on the side.

Latest posts by Paul Rubin (see all)