Spencer writes in the library, part 4: A choice of chairs

This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place on Monday, 14 July around 9:00am.

The Spot

Where am I working today?

The basement of the east wing, near the elevators.

What’s a perk of this spot?

A choice of chairs! As you can see in the picture above, there are some softer chairs along the wall near the desks. If the regular chairs continue to give me trouble, I can always move to the softer ones along the wall for a little more decadence.

What’s a problem with this spot?

The nearby elevators introduce a lot of distractions: Even when people aren’t getting in and out on this floor, there are a lot of dings from the elevator stopping on other floors.

What have I learned in this spot?

Moveable stacks are awesome.

How would I rate this spot?

3 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)

The Work

What am I working on today?

I spent some time doing some editing on a book chapter I’ll be submitting later this month. I help teach the portfolio capstone course for the edtech master’s program here at MSU, and we on the instructional team have previously done some research distilling our experience into a number of best practices that we believe to be applicable to other courses like ours. If all goes according to plan, an expanded version of this research will be appearing in the upcoming book Handbook of Research on Teacher Education in the Digital Age

What’s the highlight from today’s work?

I’m a big believer in making your writing and speaking accessible to others, so I was happy to send off my latest draft of the chapter to some colleagues of mine who aren’t associated with the capstone course to make sure that I’m writing in a way that people outside of my particular context can still understand.