Written by: Spencer Greenhalgh
Primary Source: Spencer Greenhalgh
This episode of Spencer Writes in the Library took place Thursday, February 12th around 1:15pm.
Where am I working today?
I really think that the second floor of the west wing of the library is my new favorite spot. I keep finding new places that I didn’t know about: Today’s is a set of cubicles that have nice big tables in them, several chairs, and even some handy plugs.
What’s a perk of this spot?
The cubicles were a pretty nice touch. I wouldn’t want to work in a cubicle for the rest of my life, but the walls created the handy illusion that I wasn’t surrounded by a bunch of other tables and students.
What’s a problem with this spot?
The one exception to the above is that I’m still on the “talking side” of the library, and while other students’ conversations weren’t any more disturbing than usual, the cubicles created the expectation that they would be less disturbing. Which, of course, ended up being a disappointment.
What have I learned in this spot?
MSU apparently does a “Blind Date with a Book” activity right around Valentine’s Day, and I think that’s awesome. You can read the gist of the activity off of the poster above; I nearly took them up on it before remembering that I already have a ton of books that I’m behind on.
How would I rate this spot?
6 out of 5 dentists. (Why dentists?)
What am I working on today?
Over the weekend, I submitted a consulting request to MSU’s Center for Statistical Training and Consulting so that I could make sure that the statistical tests I’m thinking about using are the right ones. While I’m waiting for them to get back, I spent time fiddling with R to get my code ready for collecting my data.
What’s the highlight from today’s work?
Today felt great! I had a number of R breakthroughs and managed to hone my while-loop skills. I’m figuring out some tricks for minimizing manual information entry. While I’ll always be stuck with manually dumping some numbers and names into spreadsheets, I almost have my code to the point that the only thing I need to change is the spreadsheet, and R will take care of the rest. I still have some hiccups to take care of (the current version of my code balks when I try to get it to look at more than 20 different XML docs at a time), but I’m feeling confident about my next steps!
Latest posts by Spencer Greenhalgh (see all)
- New Publication: Spam and Educators’ Twitter Use - December 9, 2019
- New publication: Strategies, Use, and Impact of Social Media for Supporting Teacher Community within Professional Development: The Case of One Urban STEM Program - February 1, 2018
- Star Wars and editing your writing - January 2, 2018