Does the Internet mean that knowledge is obsolete? Quoted in Wired story

Written by: Punya Mishra

Primary Source: Punya Mishra’s Web, November 5, 2015

wired

I was recently interviewed by Wired magazine for a story about Sugata Mitra’s (of Hole in the Wall fame) experiments with minimally invasive learning, or more recently what are called SOLE (Self Organized Learning Environment) classrooms / schools. I have been skeptical of the Hole in the Wall work and though there is much I agree with the SOLE concept (focus on big open-ended questions, student autonomy etc.) there is also a lot I disagree with. More specifically, in my interview I took exception to the idea that in todays classroom’s and with the availability of the internet, “knowledge is obsolete.” To be honest that is a really dumb idea—to think that knowledge is merely looking up and connecting facts together without broader theoretical frameworks and without serious intellectual work. Some of what I talked about with the author of the piece (and it was a great conversation where we covered a lot of ground) ended up in the article. There is so much more to say or write about this but for now you can read the entire article and what I had to say about that idea by going here: In this classroom, knowledge is overrated

Punya Mishra is a professor of Educational Psychology & Educational Technology at the College of Education at Michigan State University. He also directs the Master of Arts in Educational Technology program. He recently co-chaired the SITE 2011 conference at Nashville after having chaired the Innovation & Technology Committee of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. The readers and editors of Technology and Learning journal recently named him as one of the ten most influential people in educational technology.

Latest posts by Punya Mishra (see all)