Chinese Views, Strategy and Geopolitics: Robert Kaplan

Written by: Stephen Hsu

Primary Source:  Information Processing

This is one of the best summaries of the geo-strategic implications of a rising China. Those physicists at JHU have good taste in seminars ;-)

I generally listen to videos and podcasts at ~1.5 – 2x speed. Combined with the reduction in schlepping, this makes them far superior even to talks on campus. If I have a question for the speaker, I can often email them directly for the answer! Of course, the highest bandwidth path into the brain is still through reading [1].

Earlier posts (with more video):

Red Star over the Pacific and The Thucydides Trap

Asia’s Cauldron: the South China Sea and DF-21D ASBM

The Tragedy of Great Power Politics?

Keep your head down, and smile

[1] Charles Munger: I have said that in my whole life, I’ve known no wise person over a broad subject matter area who didn’t read all the time–none, zero. Now I know all kinds of shrewd people who by staying within a narrow area can do very well without reading. But investment is a broad area. So if you think you’re going to be good at it and not read all the time, you have a different idea than I do…. You’d be amazed at how much Warren [Buffet] reads. You’d be amazed at how much I read.

Stephen Hsu
Stephen Hsu is vice president for Research and Graduate Studies at Michigan State University. He also serves as scientific adviser to BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) and as a member of its Cognitive Genomics Lab. Hsu’s primary work has been in applications of quantum field theory, particularly to problems in quantum chromodynamics, dark energy, black holes, entropy bounds, and particle physics beyond the standard model. He has also made contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, the theory of modern finance, and in encryption and information security. Founder of two Silicon Valley companies—SafeWeb, a pioneer in SSL VPN (Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Networks) appliances, which was acquired by Symantec in 2003, and Robot Genius Inc., which developed anti-malware technologies—Hsu has given invited research seminars and colloquia at leading research universities and laboratories around the world.
Stephen Hsu

Latest posts by Stephen Hsu (see all)