Written by: Matthew Fletcher
Primary Source : Turtle Talk, June 14, 2018
The National Indian Law Library added new content to the Indian Law Bulletins on 6/14/18.
U.S. Supreme Court Bulletin
Petition for certiorari was filed in Citizen Potawatomi Nation v. Oklahoma (Indian Gaming – Arbitration) on 5/30/18.
A Per Curium Opinion was issued in Washington v. U.S. on 6/11/18.
Law Review & Bar Journal Bulletin
- Rejecting the Zero-Sum game in daily fantasy sports: A proposal for Arizona.
- The Supreme Court’s last 30 years of Federal Indian Law: Looking for equilibrium or supremacy?
- Valuable lessons to learn from Tribal innovation.
- The rapidly increasing extraction of oil, and Native Women, in North Dakota.
- Statutory divestiture of Tribal Sovereignty.
- Breaking faith with the Tribal Sovereignty Doctrine.
- The puzzle of traditional knowledge.
- Tribes and Cannabis: Seeking parity with States and consultation and agreement from the U.S. Government.
- Lewis v. Clarke (15-1500).
- DAPL: Storm clouds on the horizon in Indian Country.
- The Volkswagen Settlement: An opportunity for Tribes to mitigate nitrous oxide emissions in Indian Country.
- Domestic Violence.
- Indian Nations and The Constitution.
Federal Courts Bulletin
United States v. Jim (Gaming Revenue Distributions; Taxation)
California v. Picayune Rancheria of Chukchansi Indians of California (Official Tribal Government)
State Courts Bulletin
White v. Schneiderman (Cigarette Taxation)
In the Intergovernmental section, we feature an article about a U.S. Supreme Court decision that upholds protections for salmon.
U.S. Legislation Bulletin
The following bills were added:
- H.R.6030: Tribal School Federal Insurance Parity Act.
- S.3046: Tribal Food Sovereignty Act of 2018.
- H.R.3744: Tribal Recognition Act of 2017.
- S.1285: Oregon Tribal Economic Development Act.
We feature a notice of the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, regarding the new list of designated tribal agents for service of notice in compliance with the Indian Child Welfare Act.
Latest posts by Matthew Fletcher (see all)
- On Fear, Parades of Horribles, and Emotionally Potent Oversimplifications in Tribal Rights Litigation - December 21, 2018
- Reflections on Justice Kennedy’s Indian Law Legacy - July 6, 2018
- National Indian Law Library Bulletin (6/14/2018) - June 20, 2018