National Council of Urban Indian Health 2d Annual Conference

Written by: Matthew Fletcher

Primary Source : Turtle Talk, April 23, 2019

I am delighted to be presenting a keynote speech titled “Race, Politics, and the Constitution” today for the National Council of Urban Indian Health (PR here). Francys Crevier (PLSI 2010), my former student, is the Executive Director of the organization.

My talk will take the theme of my forthcoming paper “Politics, Indian Law, and the Constitution” and apply those principles to demonstrate that the Indian Health Service owes a trust duty to urban Indians and related matters.

Those who know me best know Turtle Talk was inspired by the newsletter put out by the Grand Rapids Inter-Tribal Council. My mother worked there when I was a Benodjehn.

Image of two bison silhouette facing a bison skull; from Turtle Talk April issue (year unknown)

Matthew Fletcher
Matthew L.M. Fletcher is Professor of Law at Michigan State University College of Law and Director of the Indigenous Law and Policy Center. He is the Chief Justice of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians Supreme Court and also sits as an appellate judge for the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians, the Hoopa Valley Tribe, and the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi Indians. He is a member of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, located in Peshawbestown, Michigan. In 2010, Professor Fletcher was elected to the American Law Institute.